Post-COVID - 6 Tips for better mental health and physical fitness
Our mental health and physical fitness are closely intertwined. The so-called "Mind-Body Connection" relates to all areas of our life: Our physical performance depends on our mental health and vice versa. Poor mental health can also have negative consequences in our relationships with others. It influences our motivation, decisions and actions.
During COVID, our physical fitness and mental strength decreased:
- A lack of exercise, fresh air and social activities resulted in fewer happiness hormones being released.
- Deficiency in vitamin D has led to insomnia and bad mood.
- The sugary diet from processed meals has thrown our insulin levels out of balance. This throws our energy levels out of balance.
- We spent less time in nature and, thus, exposed our intestinal flora less to good bacteria.
Consider the physical parameters for your mental fitness
Our mental health is affected by physical hormones:
- The stress hormone cortisol,
- The happiness hormone serotonin, which has a strong influence on our mood and sleep quality, and
- Vitamin D, which, if deficient, can cause sleep problems, bad mood and physical discomfort.
The Mental Health & Stress Test analyzes, how these hormones occur in your body. We will give you suggestions for action on how you can trigger more positive hormone impulses.
Get to know yourself, find out how you can strengthen yourself mentally and deal with stress optimally!
Create routines for better mental health and physical fitness
With these routines you can support the positive hormones in your body and improve your mental fitness:
- The start of the day shapes the entire course
With certain routines you can improve your mood and motivation right from the start:
- The first 20-30 minutes without your mobile phone - Take time for yourself.
- 10 minute meditation
- Write down your to-do list for the day. Create structure and an overview.
- Stick to a healthy, nutritious breakfast of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. You will feel energetic and ready for the day. In the DALUMA stores you will find all natural dishes without additives.
- The Mind\Set Shot can help you to regulate oxidative stress and increase your mental performance.
- Reduce the stress hormone cortisol
The stress hormone cortisol is stimulated by various factors in our everyday life: We are under a lot of pressure at work and in private life. We can reduce stress through daily routines:
- Taking a walk in nature
- Taking a bath
- Listen to an inspiring podcast or read a nice book
This way, you can let go of the pressure and find mental strength.
- Stimulate serotonin production through exercise
It is not without reason that many report that good feeling after a workout. The happiness hormone serotonin is released by your body during exercise and improves your mood. You don't necessarily have to do a super strenuous exercise program. A walk or a little dance to your favorite music can have the same effect.
You can find the DALUMA workouts for building muscle or toning up here.
- Increase vitamin D levels through sunlight
Our time in nature has decreased significantly, especially during COVID. Fresh air and vitamin D not only have positive effects on our physical health. They improve our mood and our sleep. Through points of contact with nature, we receive valuable bacteria for our microbiome, our intestinal health. If we absorb more sunlight during the day, our melatonin production is stimulated in the evening and our sleep becomes more restful.
These little tricks give us more motivation for our other obligations.
- Keep your insulin levels stable for more energy
The balance of our insulin levels affects our energy level. Refined sugar and short-chain carbohydrates cause blood sugar levels to rise rapidly. After that, they fall just as drastically. At the same time, our energy level falls. We feel sluggish and demotivated. External factors generate increased stress and more cortisol is released. Sugar being highly addictive makes it difficult for many to stay away from it. A juice cleanse can help get out of this routine. The high amounts of vegetables and avoiding refined sugars during the cleanse can be a great start to a healthier lifestyle. Here we explain everything about the advantages and what you should consider when choosing your juice cleanse!
How to keep your blood sugar levels stable during normal days we explain in this article.
- Distance yourself from negative emotions
Once we know our stressors, we can better avoid them. Become aware of which situations, people or places are particularly stressful for you and how you can get the best out of them. Every negative experience brings something positive with it. You have certainly learned something for the future. Through positive associations, we can prevent them from burdening our body and mind in the future. Meditation or keeping a diary can help to become aware of negative emotions and let them go.