WHY SHOULD I DO A JUICE CLEANSE?
A juice cleanse is a special form of fasting in which you only consume high-quality, cold-pressed fruit and vegetable juices for a specified period of time (usually 3, 5 or 7 days).
We explain to you
- What a juice cleanse involves.
- What fasting means.
- What a juice cleanse does.
- If a juice cleanse will make you lose weight.
What is a juice cleanse?
A juice cleanse is a special form of fasting in which you only consume high-quality, cold-pressed fruit and vegetable juices for a specified period of time (usually 3, 5 or 7 days). In addition, you can, or even should, drink a lot of water, unsweetened teas and broth. During these days you should completely avoid solid food as well as stimulants such as coffee, alcohol and nicotine.
In order to preserve the valuable vitamins and nutrients in the juices, it is essential that all the juices are cold-pressed and not pasteurized during the fasting period. This is because enzymes are preserved, which are important as boi-catalysts for the fasting processes and are only preserved by the HPP process and without pasteurization.
3 STEPS OF THE JUICE CLEANSE
A juice cleanse usually consists of 3 steps: The preparation or so-called "relief phase", the phase of the juice fast itself and finally the "fast-breaking".
In the relief phase you should eat more consciously and avoid heavy and greasy food, sugar, dairy products, white flour, salt or coffee. Smoking should also be stopped. Reduced portions and light meals help the body get used to the lower calorie intake during the juice cleanse.
During the juice cleanse, only cold-pressed juices are consumed instead of the usual meals; With the DALUMA juice cleanse, these are 4 juices a day, one juice every 3-4 hours (click here for the 3-day juice cure). To kick off the juice cleanse, DALUMA also recommends a Burning Man Shot the evening before, which can initiate the detox process overnight with ginger, cayenne and oregano oil.
When you "break the fast" you gradually get your body used to solid food again and this is also initiated by DALUMA at the end of the juice cleanse by supporting the probiotic structure of your intestines with active Kombucha cultures.
The aim of juice fasting is to give your body and mind an intensive break, you could also say to press a kind of "reset button". This reset allows the body to recover from the bad habits of everyday life in order to restore balance and replenish energy.
What does fasting mean?
Fasting has been practiced in many different ways in various religions for centuries. For example, traditional fasting weeks, days or periods are observed in which food is only consumed at specific times of the day. Today, modern nutritional trends are promoting a plethora of fasting types such as juice fasting, interval fasting or "intermittent fasting", water fasting, health fasting (e.g. according to Buchinger), green fasting and others.
We know from medical studies that fasting leads to so-called ketogenesis (transition from carbohydrate to fat metabolism). Additionally, it promotes positive changes in metabolic and cellular processes such as lipolysis and autophagy. According to the latest findings, it can even reduce oxidative damage and inflammation, optimize energy metabolism and strengthen the body's own cell protection¹.
What is the effect of a juice cleanse?
A juice cleanse is a holistic reset for your body and mind. The juice cleanse allows your gut to take a break from solid food.
As has now been scientifically proven, the gut, psyche and skin are linked via the so-called "Gut-Brain-Skin Axis"²,³ and accordingly poor concentration, listlessness/tiredness and skin problems can often be the result of poor nutrition⁵-¹².
The break from solid food and high-sugar nutrition in combination with the prebiotic effect of polyphenols, oligosaccharides, fiber and nitrates from cold-pressed fruit and vegetable juices supports the positive cultivation of microorganisms in your biome for the development of an intact intestinal flora and the promotion of holistic bodily functions⁴. The result is improved intestinal health, which has a significant positive effect on your entire body, your state of health and your well-being.
Depending on the length of the juice cleanse, there are positive changes in metabolic and cellular processes such as ketogenesis, lipolysis and autophagy. This can mean that you have more energy, the ability to concentrate increases, sleep patterns improve and even inflammatory processes in the body are reduced⁵-¹². In fact, the effects of the juice cleanse are very individual and everyone has to find out for themselves what positive effects their body experiences when fasting. Furthermore, the type of juice cleanse has an effect on the result.
Can I lose weight with a juice cleanse?
Weight loss is often a side effect of juice fasting, but it shouldn't be the ultimate goal! Due to the reduced calorie intake, the body initially loses water. Over time, fat is also broken down. Both affect body weight.
In addition, a juice cleanse allows you to deal intensively with your own body and its needs as well as your own eating habits. A lastingly healthier diet and an improved lifestyle are often triggered by a juice cleanse.
- Longo VD, Mattson MP. Fasting: molecular mechanisms and clinical applications. Cell Metab. 2014;19(2):181-192. doi:10.1016/j.cmet.2013.12.008
- Stokes JH, Pillsbury DM. The effect on the skin of emotional and nervous states III. Theoretical and practical consideration of a gastro-intestinal mechanism. AMA Arch Derm Syphilol 1930;22:962-993.
- Mann EA, Bae E, Kostyuchek D, Chung HJ, McGee JS. The Gut Microbiome: Human Health and Inflammatory Skin Diseases [published correction appears in Ann Dermatol. 2020 Oct;32(5):440]. Ann Dermatol. 2020;32(4):265-272. doi:10.5021/ad.2020.32.4.265
- Henning SM, Yang J, Shao P, et al. Health benefit of vegetable/fruit juice-based diet: Role of microbiome. Sci Rep. 2017;7(1):2167. Published 2017 May 19. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-02200-6
- Wilhelmi de Toledo F, Grundler F, Sirtori CR, Ruscica M. Unravelling the health effects of fasting: a long road from obesity treatment to healthy life span increase and improved cognition. Ann Med. 2020 Aug;52(5):147-161. doi: 10.1080/07853890.2020.1770849. Epub 2020 Jun 10. PMID: 32519900; PMCID: PMC7877980.
- Katta R, Kramer MJ. Skin and Diet: An Update on the Role of Dietary Change as a Treatment Strategy for Skin Disease. Skin Therapy Lett. 2018 Jan;23(1):1-5. PMID: 29357214.
- Michalak M, Pierzak M, Kręcisz B, Suliga E. Bioactive Compounds for Skin Health: A Review. Nutrients. 2021 Jan 12;13(1):203. doi: 10.3390/nu13010203. PMID: 33445474; PMCID: PMC7827176.
- Haß U, Herpich C, Norman K. Anti-Inflammatory Diets and Fatigue. Nutrients. 2019 Sep 30;11(10):2315. doi: 10.3390/nu11102315. PMID: 31574939; PMCID: PMC6835556.
- Bahr LS, Bock M, Liebscher D, Bellmann-Strobl J, Franz L, Prüß A, Schumann D, Piper SK, Kessler CS, Steckhan N, Michalsen A, Paul F, Mähler A. Ketogenic diet and fasting diet as Nutritional Approaches in Multiple Sclerosis (NAMS): protocol of a randomized controlled study. Trials. 2020 Jan 2;21(1):3. doi: 10.1186/s13063-019-3928-9. PMID: 31898518; PMCID: PMC6941322.
- Zhao M, Tuo H, Wang S, Zhao L. The Effects of Dietary Nutrition on Sleep and Sleep Disorders. Mediators Inflamm. 2020 Jun 25;2020:3142874. doi: 10.1155/2020/3142874. PMID: 32684833; PMCID: PMC7334763.
- Hernando-Requejo O, Hernando-Requejo V, Requejo Marcos AM. Impacto de la alimentación en la lucha contra el insomnio [Nutrition impact on insomnia treatment]. Nutr Hosp. 2021 Jan 13;37(Spec No2):57-62. Spanish. doi: 10.20960/nh.03359. PMID: 32993312.
- Puchalska P, Crawford PA. Multi-dimensional Roles of Ketone Bodies in Fuel Metabolism, Signaling, and Therapeutics. Cell Metab. 2017 Feb 7;25(2):262-284. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2016.12.022. PMID: 28178565; PMCID: PMC5313038.